Plan Philly has the story behind changes that are coming to the “Italian Market.” Changes to the city code will give the South 9th Street Business Association more power in shaping the mix of vendors on the block.
There are currently spaces for 160 carts along 9th Street but only half of them are full.
Changes to the Italian Market
- A volunteer committee will evaluate applications from prospective vendors with an eye toward enhancing the market’s “vitality, quality, and variety.”
- Limit of two stands per vendors are lifted.
- Carts will no longer be restricted to city residents who also own brick-and-mortar businesses along the market.
- The market’s official southern boundary has moved one block north, from Passyunk Avenue to Federal Street.
- Annual rent remains $300 per year.
Empty Italian Market stands could fill up soon [Plan Philly]