The Industry in Pennsport has unveiled a new food writers’ menu of dishes designed with the help of local food writers. Yours truly was among those asked to participate and after much consternation, I suggested beery potato skins. Potato skins have been a crusade for me for some time and chef Pat Szoke has created the spud that will bring potato skins back to the forefront. These beauties are baked with beer-and-cheddar sauce, bacon bits, house-made bacon powder and topped with creme fraiche. The potato skins along with the other writers’ items will only be available for a limited time, though the most popular will get a permanent spot on the restaurant’s menu.
The menu and and voting kicks off Monday, March 18th.
March 18 through March 24:
- Art Etchells, founder of Foobooz: Potato Skins, baked with beer-and-cheddar cheese sauce, bacon bits, house-made bacon powder and crème fraiche;
- Michael Klein, Philly.com’s The Insider: Grown-up PB&J, with seared foie gras, cashew butter and huckleberry jam served on toasted Brioche bread;
- Caroline Russock, editor of Meal Ticket: Parisian Gnocchi with duck sausage and kimchi.
March 25 through March 31:
- Drew Lazor, Food and Drink writer: Spam and Eggs, crispy Spam over garlic fried rice with fried egg, cherry tomato, chive and red onion salad, served with Frank’s Red Hot sauce;
- Danya Henninger , editor of Zagat and Drink Philly: Toad in the Hole, with lump crabmeat, avocado and tomato salad with avocado and feta crema.
April 1 through April 7:
- Adam Erace, City Paper restaurant reviewer and contributor to Meal Ticket: Kampachi Crudo with jalapeño-pomegranate vinaigrette, pomegranate seeds and shaved radish;
- Collin Flatt, editor of Eater: Braised Pork Cheek with crispy sweetbreads and mache;
- Collin Keefe, editor of Grub Street: Crispy Fried Oysters with smoked paprika-and-garlic aioli and mache;
Visit the Industry to try out each writer’s dish and vote for you favorite on the Industry’s Facebook page through April 10th. The
winning dish potato skins will become a permanent offering on Industry’s menu.