Next Thursday, September 27th celebrate Iron Hill Brewery’s most decorated head brewer Bob Barrar’s birthday bash (say that ten times fast) with Dark Humor Rising, a night of tastings of Barrar’s acclaimed Dark Humor Porter. From 5 to 9 p.m. Iron Hill Media will be serving up many rare and new iterations of Dark Humor, including a batch Barrar brewed just for the occasion and aged in special barrels.
For more info on these special brews and the night’s menu, read on.
Dark Humor will be on draft, available as a sampler of all the Dark Humor beers for $16, and in 750mL bottles for $30. Limited quantities of the rare brews will be for sale and are expected to sell out. The versions of Dark Humor Rising available will be:
- Vintage March 2011 Dark Humor (brewed at Ithaca)
- Vintage May 2011 Dark Humor (brewed in Media)
- Rum Barrel Aged Dark Humor
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Humor
- Sherry Barrel Aged Dark Humor
- Tawny Port Barrel Aged Dark Humor
- Ruby Port Barrel Aged Dark Humor
Iron Hill chef David Anderson has also created a special menu for the night to pair with Dark Humor, with dishes ranging from $6 to $28, including:
- Blue Cheese Progression Plate, featuring gorgonzola dolce, Bayley Hazen and cabrales cheeses with smoked paprika-toasted almonds, chocolate-pumpkin seed spread and frozen blueberries, best paired with ruby port and tawny port Dark Humor
- Veal Carpaccio with sherry-braised shallots and micro greens, best paired with sherry Dark Humor
- Caribbean-Spiced Pork Porterhouse with caramelized mango and pineapple salsa and brown sugar-glazed sweet potatoes, best paired with rum Dark Humor
- Grilled New York Strip with extra-sharp white cheddar mashed potatoes and Dark Humor-braised onion demiglace, best paired with original Dark Humor
- Triple Chocolate Cookie Sandwich with malted bourbon-pecan ice cream, best paired with bourbon Dark Humor.
For more information on Iron Hill’s best beloved brewer Bob Barrar’s birthday blowout visit the Iron Hill Media website.