In conjunction with National Empanada Day on Sunday, April 8 (take a back seat Easter), Chef-Partner Guillermo Pernot of Cuba Libre is opening Empanada Alley, a late-night spot located at the back of the Old City restaurant on Strawberry Street. Every Friday and Saturday throughout April, from midnight until 3 a.m., the restaurant will serve up $3 empanadas in the converted kitchen space, reminiscent of a bodega.
Selections will include:
- Picadillo, ground beef with olives and raisins
- Pollo, hand-chopped chicken, corn, sweet pepper and Jack cheese
- Camarones, shrimp, creamy spinach and pine nuts
- Puerco, pulled pork, roasted poblano and charred tomatoes
- A vegetarian empanada Alcachofa, grilled artichoke hearts, salt-cured tomatoes and feta cheese
All profits from Empanada Alley will be donated to Children of Restaurant Employees, a charitable organization with benefactors from hospitality operator and supplier industries that provides special support to the children of restaurant employees.
Follow Empanada Alley on Twitter (@EmpAlley). If it is successful maybe it will continue after April.