Marc Vetri’s Alla Spina (meaning “from the tap”) opens tonight on Mt. Vernon Street, just off of Broad Street and next door to Stephen Starr’s Route 6. Vetri’s take on an Italian bar is very much about the fun but that’s not to say there isn’t serious food on the menu here.
- The Alla Spina space is designed to look like a big garage.
- Even the front windows raise like garage doors.
- Inside the space is decorated with by graffiti artist Dave “Distort” Sol.
- Above the U-shaped bar is Alex, a mounted pig complete with leg warmers.
- Behind the bar is the walk-in storage, on top of which is a couple tables with a great view of the whole space.
- Dining bar provides a peek into the bustling open kitchen.
- Banquettes line one wall, while tables sit directly in front of the big doors.
- Pork is a big deal here.
- So is fried foods.
- Here are some highlights:
- Housemade pretzel with spicy beer cheese
- Pig tails fennel agrodolce
- Lasagna verde alla bolognese
- Mortadella hotdog with spicy pickles and cabbage relish
- Pig pot pie
- Maple glazed fried chicken with fries
- Alla Spina Dinner Menu (PDF)
- Alla Spina Dessert Menu (PDF)
- 20 beers on tap, plus two on cask.
- Majority of the beers are local with other American, Italian, Belgian and German beers making up the tap list.
- Victory is brewing Novello, a Belgian-style blonde brewed with Goldon Monkey yeast exclusively for Alla Spina.
- Daily flight specials are listed on the chalkboard.
- 50 varieties of beer are also available by bottle or can.
- It is definitely about the beer at Alla Spina, just three wines by the glass are available.
- Two of the wines offered are on tap.
- A selection of cocktails are also available.
- Alla Spina Drinks Menu (PDF)
Ode to the Publican
Buy the kitchen a sixpack for $10 and you can ring the big bell.
Video Walkthrough of Alla Spina