Rex 1516 To Bring Southern Cooking to South Street
On Thursday March 1st Rex 1516 is opening at 1516 South Street. The restaurant is from the husband and wife team of Evan Malone and Jill Weber, who also own JET Wine Bar across the street.
Architectural Salvage, Including Pieces from Frank Furness Highlight Interior
- Co-owner Evan Malone is President of NextFab Studio, he and his crew of designers, engineers and artists played an integral part of the design.
- Jill Weber describes the interior as a “faded mansion.”
- Features include:
- Distressed woodwork
- Wrought iron
- Wood chandeliers
- Antique mirrors
- The face of the bar uses reclaimed wood paneling from Frank Furness designed Rittenhouse Club.
- Bar is topped with white marble.
- Architectural ornament salvaged from Penn’s Church of the Savior and designed by Charles Burnes, Jr. will welcome visitors.
- Seats approximately 35 guests, which will almost double in the spring with the opening of the outdoor patio.
Rex 1516 Chef Regis Jansen Plans Comfort Food with Southern Roots
- Alabama native Regis Jansen will be the chef at Rex 1516.
- Expect Southern inspired comfort food cuisine.
- Bread will be baked daily.
- Opening Night Higlights include:
- Crawfish Pot-Pie Crawfish Pot-Pie
- House-Grind, Cast Iron Burger with Blue Cheese and Onion Marmalade
- Seitan Meatloaf
- Pork Loin – stuffed with cornbread & sausage, served with sweet potato mash, collard greens, and morel sauce
- Pastry chef Shamus Moriarty will handle the desserts at Rex 1516.
- Dessert highlights include:
- Pretzels & Beer – a dark chocolate torte with pretzel crust, IPA caramel, and Stout chocolate sauce
- Sweet Potato Duo – sweet potato cheesecake and fried sweet potato pie
Cocktail Program by Heather Rodkey
- The restaurant will have a full bar
- Expect Southern specialties like Mint Juleps
- Craft beer will also be featured
- Lunch 11:00am-4:00pm every day
- Dinner 5:00pm-11:00pm daily
- Brunch will begin shortly after the opening. Brunch will be served Saturday and Sunday’s from 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
You Might Also Like
Around The Web