The 2012 James Beard Semifinalists have been announced and Philadelphia area chefs and restaurants seem to have a bigger representation than normal. Tashan, The Farm and Fisherman and Zeppoli all make the list for Best New Restaurant. Pierre Calmels, Bibou; David Gilberg, Koo Zee Doo; Konstantinos Pitsillides, Kanella and Marcie Turney of Barbuzzo all make the semifinals for Best Chef Midatlantic (remember, past winners aren’t eligible).
Le Virtu’s Joe Cicala and Fond’s Lee Styer were nominated for Rising Star Chef, while Jessie Prawlucki (Fond/Belle Cakery) made the list for Outstanding Pastry Chef. Not bad East Passyunk, not bad at all.
In other categories:
- Vetri – Outstanding Restaurant, Outstanding Service
- Franklin Mortgage and Investment Co. – Outstanding Bar Program
- Standard Tap – Outstanding Bar Program
- Fountain Restaurant at Four Seasons Hotel – Outstanding Service
- Stephen Starr, Starr Restaurants, – Outstanding Restaurateur
- Tria, Outstanding Wine Program
2012 James Beard Semifinalists [Official Site]