Each year Glen Macnow exhaustively tracks down the best in a Philly food category. Last year he crowned Paesano’s Daddy Wad as the best hoagie in the area.
This year he’s back looking for the best hot specialty sandwich. That means no hoagies or cheesesteaks need apply. It also means lots of great hot roast beef and pork.
On Thursday the Hot Sandwich Safari Finals will be held at The Fieldhouse at 11th and Filbert. The top six finishers will be present to make their sandwiches.
Celebrity judges will join Glen Macnow to crown the champion. Listeners who show up will also have a chance to taste the sandwiches and crown the Listeners’ Choice Award.
Macnow’s top six currently looks like this:
- Roast Beef on the Outs, Old Original Nickâ€™s Roast Beef
- The Schmitter, McNallyâ€™s Tavern
- Chicken Italiano, Shankâ€™s Pier 40
- Hot Pastrami on Rye, Hershelâ€™s East Side Deli
- Hot Roast Pork, Carlinoâ€™s Specialty Foods
- Meatball Sandwich, Pastaficio Homemade Pasta Co.