Varga Bar: Tale of the Tape
We’ve got the details on Varga Bar. The new American bar from the team that has brought us Valanni and Mercato. The bar is aiming to open the week of May 18th.
- Corner of 10th and Spruce at the former Azul Cantina.
- Named after artist Alberto Vargas
- Born in Peru as Joaquin Alberto Vargas.
- Early career included working for the Ziegfeld Follies and several Hollywood studios.
- Most famous movie poster is for the 1933 film, “the Sin of Nora Moran” featuring a desperate and practically nud Zita Johann.
- Vargas is known for his World War II pin-up illustrations for Esquire magazine.
- The pinup illustrations define the decor for Varga Bar.
- Ceiling mural features “a bevy of buxom beauties.”
- Black and white checkered floors.
- Leather tufted bar.
- Chrome and beveled glass lights.
- Capacity is 60 indoors. 14 at the bar, 48 at tables.
- 32 seats outside.
- Menu created by Executive Chef R. Evan Turney who has worked with owners George and Valerie Anni at Mercato and Valanni.
- Menu is described as “straight forward comfort foods.”
- Prices top out at $22.
- Highlights include:
- Crab cheese fries
- Mac-n-cheese blending gouda, gruyere and fontina, topped with applewood smoked bacon.
- Rigatoni and meatballs with garlic parmesan and broccoli rabe.
- Pulled pork sandwich braised in Ithaca Apricato Wheat and served with truffled provolone and broccoli rabe.
- Varga Greens, signature salad with beets, pears, blue cheese, walnuts, shaved artichoke and white balsamic vinaigrette.
- Tangerine and chili Berkshire baby-back pork ribs.
- House-cured pickles and homemade condiments.
- Root beer float.
- Homemade 4-layer carrot cake with coconut cream cheese frosting.
- Triple chocolate brownie sundae.
- Victory Root beer on a hand pump.
- Special Flying Fish house cask beer on the hand pump.
- 22 taps filled with hard to find American made beers.
- No Miller Lite or Coors Light.
- Opening highlights include:
- Founder’s Backwoods Bastard
- Russian River Damnation
- Rogue Imperial Pilsner
- Flying Fish Cask
Varga Bar [Official Site]
You Might Also Like
Around The Web