Moldy Cheese: To Toss or Not to Toss?
When should you throw moldy cheese away?
Now, if you have purchased a soft cheese, something in the vein of Brie, triple cream or fresh goat cheese, any mold growth likely means that the entire wedge is past prime and should be discarded.
Likewise for any aged cheese that has grown black mold. This can be a hazard to your health, and while removing it would most likely resolve the issue, there is no sense taking the risk.
When should you save your moldy cheese?
If you have a hard cheese that has been in the fridge a bit too long and has developed mold of any other color (white, grey, blue and green are common), it is salvageable! Take a look at this piece of Challerhocker above, which I let sit on the counter for a few days to turn gnarly. Some white and grey mold, as well as discoloration beneath the rind. Not pretty.
Simply take a butter knife and scrape it against the cheese, shaving the thinnest of layers off the outside, removing the mold. It is clear that this cheese is no longer fit for a cheese plate, as evidenced by the dark and dry layer just beneath the rind. I would not serve this to guests, but it will still be sublime when melted.
For more cheese questions, visit one of the cheesemongers at Di Bruno Bros. or call 888-322-4337.