Did you come out for the Be Well Philly Cross-Training Run with Unite Fitness and Philadelphia Runner last week? We had an absolute blast running through the city and stopping along the way to do some conditioning work.
This week’s workout is just like the Be Well Philly Cross-Training Run, except you can do it at your own pace. It makes the most out of your sweat time by combining cardio and strength. Plus, you’ll get to enjoy the lovely fall weather that’s in store for our region this week.
Here’s what you’re going to do …
Read more »
• Save some cash (and possibly some calories) by making your own energy and granola bars at home. Here’s how to do it. [Well + Good NYC]
• Why you should never, ever, ever leave your running shoes in the car. (I had no idea!) [Real Simple]
• Thinking of running a marathon? There are three reasons why you shouldn’t. [Competitor]
• Gah! Here are nine foods you could have sworn were vegetarian but really aren’t. [HuffPost Healthy Living]
• Bells, meet whistles. Check out the pretty new Forerunner GPS watches from Garmin. [Runner's World]
• Do one marathon or one bike race or one triathlon, and you’ll realize it: What you put into your body really, really, really matters when it comes to performance. Here’s a list of 10 energy-sapping, performance-sabatoging foods that athletes (including you!) should avoid at all cost. [Outside]
• Here’s a package that’ll make you blush. Introducing Unbound, a Birchbox like product-delivery service that specializes in sex toys. [Women's Health]
• Workout ruts are the worst. Here are 17 proven ways to break out of them. [HuffPost Healthy Living]
• Neat! Check out these cool fitness gadgets that’ll get you moving in high-tech style this fall. [Refinery 29]
• Show your lower half who’s boss this weekend. Tackle this terrific ab-and-butt workout you can do outdoors in the fresh air. [POPSUGAR Fitness]
Because I know you’ve all been dyyyying to try a SkyRobics trampoline fitness class ever since I posted about it back in April, I thought some of you might be happy to hear that Sky Zone, the massive indoor trampoline park in Oaks where I took the class, is opening a closer-to-Philly location in Glen Mills in November. It will be the 41st Sky Zone location in the country when it opens.
The Delco Sky Zone will be at 10 Conchester Road, at the intersection of Route 1 and 322. The location will offer SkyRobics (woot!) as well as dodgeball leagues and other tournaments. And, of course, you can always just go there to bounce on the wall to wall to wall trampolines on your own.
According to skyzone.com, the company is also planning locations in Chalfont (coming spring 2014), Allentown (date TBA) and Langhorne (date TBA).
• We already tackled your shoes, so that brings us to your legs. Here are the best running tights (with some reeeeeally cute patterns, colors and other details) for fall 2013. [POPSUGAR Fitness]
• The labels on your beauty and bath products—finally decoded. [Refinery 29]
• How to stop muscle cramps before they even start. (Pay attention, runners.) [Runner's World]
• Do you love going to barre or Spin class? Good thing, because sweating in a group is really good for your mental health. [Prevention]
• If you’re in the market for a new yoga mat, here are 10 terrific options. [Fitness Magazine]
A full day of yoga, food education and mind-cleansing? If you thought you could only get that kind of treatment at a spiritual retreat, think again. On October 6th, Philly Area Yoga is hosting the second annual Namas Day at the Wayne Art Center. This jam-packed event offers 19 different workshops on topics ranging from meditation to Reiki healing to food as medicine and more.
To stock up on your yoga knowledge, and maybe even learn how to master that impossible headstand pose, register here. And, if you can’t commit to spending an entire day in yoga paradise (because, ugh, errands), no worries—you can also register for workshops individually.
$110 full day pass or $30 to 35 for an individual workshop; October 6th from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Wayne Art Center, 413 Maplewood Ave, Wayne.
>> Have a local health and fitness event you’d like to share with Be Well Philly readers? Email email@example.com with details.
I’ve witnessed more than a few people doing their best Rocky impression as they run up the Art Museum steps and hop around, arms in the air, at the top. But the thing is, if you watch Rocky II, you realize quickly that Sylvester Stallone was supposed to have run a heck of a lot further than just those 70 or so steps in front of the Art Museum. Just how much further? A whopping 30.61 miles through the city, according to a new (and very, very scientific) analysis by our friends over at the Philly Post.
Rocky aficionado Dan McQuade, in his words, “pieced together the routes Rocky could have traveled from scene to scene in this training montage and calculated distance.” Now, that’s dedication, people. Check out the scene-by-scene breakdown here.
Read more »
For this workout you are going to need a jump rope so you can channel your younger, hoppy-er self as you jump your way through this workout. You will have three different circuits to do, and you will do each circuit three times. Here are your exercises.
• Time to upgrade your running kicks? Check out these 25 wacky, wild, ultra-bright sneakers on store shelves this season. Seriously—these shoes are hot! [Competitor]
• If you didn’t get a good night’s sleep last night, you might want to skip that trip to the ACME after work. New research found that grocery shopping while tired can lead you to make less healthy food choices—even if you’re not shopping on an empty stomach. [Runner's World]
• Switch up your tired smoothie routine with this extra-green spinach smoothie. [POPSUGAR Fitness]
• Here’s what it looks like when a bunch of pro runners walk the runway during Fashion Week. (Spoiler: So. Many. Six-pack. Abs.) [Nolcha Fashion Week]
• If you only eat five foods ever again, make them these. [Outside Magazine]