by Tim McManus | January 30, 2014 5:42 pm
Michael Vick is not only eyeing a starting gig in 2014, he intends to land a job without having to fight for it.
Speaking with Mike Missanelli on 97.5 The Fanatic Thursday, Vick made it clear that he doesn’t want to go through another drawn-out quarterback competition like the one he experienced last summer with the Eagles.
“You can put me in all the quarterback battles you want to put me in, I just don’t think I would lose one,” he said. “Not saying that out of arrogance, just saying it with confidence because I know what it takes to win. I’ve been playing in this league for 11 years, and the one thing I won’t do, I won’t go to any other place and battle for a position. Why would I do that?”
The answer is that he may not have a choice. While there are a few teams in the NFL that could use some help at quarterback, there may not be any willing to just hand the job over to an oft-injured 34-year-old.
“I don’t want to waste time. Battling for a position takes away from your game, takes away from you being able to prepare yourself, takes away from you being able to give your team your all at an early stage,” said Vick. “Battling with Nick [Foles] last year was great, it was good, friendly and healthy competition, but I couldn’t focus on the season and what was to come. Every day was predicated on being the best I could be in training camp and winning the battle that day. I think there is more time and preparation that could be put in other things to help you. I’ve been through that experience. I don’t want to say I don’t want to do it again, but I just want to go somewhere and get acclimated and start winning football games.”
Vick then softened his stance a bit, and said the competition with Foles helped get him prepared for the season.
The veteran was asked if he would consider returning to Philadelphia as a backup if the Eagles were interested.
“I want to start, I want to play. I just can’t see myself as a backup. Maybe down the road that could be a possibility but as of right now, no,” he said.
“I’m not going to sit and be a waste of talent. I know nobody is looking at it like that but I’d feel like I didn’t maximized my opportunities if I didn’t go out and pursue that.”
It’s yet to be seen what the market will bear, but there’s no question that Vick fully intends on being elsewhere next season.
Source URL: http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/01/30/vick-says-hes-done-qb-battles/
Copyright ©2018 Philadelphia Magazine unless otherwise noted.