It’s cold out there. Let’s shop. | Shutterstock.
It’s finally Friday, Shoppists! We know it’s one of the first
chilly bone-chillingly frigid nights of the season, but resist the urge to don a Snuggie and shop from your couch, and pencil in one of these fantastic shopping events happening in Philly. From antiques and British pop music to a cheese expert and cider, this is the fall-worthy fun you’ve been waiting for all season.
Event details ahead!
- Don’t go trading your platform heels for a pair of smoking loafers quite so quick. Here are 8 ways to make your high heel shoes more comfortable. [Bustle]
- If you weren’t planning on going Black Friday shopping, then you will now. Black Friday discounts are reported to reach 70 percent. [Fashionista]
- Maximize all the space in your weekender with these handy packing tips. Plus, these looks will have you covered for everything from the Friday flight to Sunday brunch. [Vogue]
Up next: Celebrity brand endorsements aren’t nearly as transparent as you might think.
Last year, I was pretty brazen about my feelings toward stores opening on Thanksgiving. So much so, I wrote a post entitled “Why We’re Pissed Stores are Opening on Thanksgiving” (ya know, feelings) in response to a Change.org petition that began circulating to close Target on Thanksgiving. Then today, I received one rallying for Macy’s to close its doors this Thanksgiving, and all that rage started bubbling to the surface again.
Weigh in on our poll.
Image via Neff Associates
Following recent major store openings like Century 21, Nordstrom Rack, and Timberland, we thought the Center City retail hurricane would be calming down for a bit. Not so. Remember when we got word in August that Philly-based lifestyle brand Ellelauri was trading in their pop-up digs in Shops at Liberty Place for a brick-and-mortar boutique in Rittenhouse? Well, the shop is opening its doors tonight and they’re inviting everyone to a grand opening event. Live on, retail hurricane!
We’ve got the event details and a sneak peek at the new location!
- Looking to splurge on a new bauble or two? According to a jewelry editor, these are the jewelry investing tips you need to know (read: nothing with butterflies) before handing over your credit card. [The Covetuer]
- Here’s a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into those 20-pound Swarovski crystal-bedazzled Victoria Secret Fashion Show wings. [Huffington Post]
- Learn the art of the perfect boot-to-pant ratio. Believe us, the right ankle bootie and slightly slouchy jean can add inches to your legs. [Man Repeller]
Up next: The color that might be replacing black for good.
Image via Teen Vogue.
We’re huge Mo’ne Davis fans over here at Shoppist HQ. So when we saw the Taney Dragons all star featured in November’s issue of Teen Vogue, we squealed, and gushed, and AH, SHE LOOKS SO PRETTY!
The stylist and photog deserve major kudos: Mo’ne toes the line between looking perfectly glamorous in a metallic top—yet totally age-appropriate with minimal makeup—while still wearing a baseball cap and braid.
It’s a glitzy break from throwing 70 miles per hour fastballs. Plus, it’s pretty much perfection.
Image via United by Blue
I know it’s a temperate 68 degrees outside today, but check your weather app: on Friday, it’s plummeting into the 40s, and it’s just going to get colder from there. And if you’re like me and would rather wear four layers and a parka at home than turn on the heat, then you need to know about these socks. Made by local clothier United By Blue, the socks are ultra-soft, warmer than wool, hypoallergenic, anti-microbial, and … not quite in production. To get your hands on a pair, you’ll need to visit their Kickstarter page.
Click here for more info.
Much like ditzy florals are spring’s pattern of choice, plaid belongs to fall. But the print has a long history, specifically with the dreaded school uniform. Luckily, new plaids are popping up on sleek, edgy silhouettes and unexpected pieces like skater shoes and crossbodies. All you need to do is avoid pleats and knee socks and you’ll be looking more McQueen and less co-ed in no time.
Keep reading for shopping details.
- It’s Tuesday, gang, and if you want our Monday manis to make it through the rest of the week, you need to check out the 10 best nail top coats. (Psst: Our pick is Seche Vite.) [Rank & Style]
- Ariana Grande wore her hair down and the internet erupted. [Buzzfeed]
- Fed up with Instagram’s lack of links, Marc Jacobs decided to build a whole new shoppable app so you can buy the beauty brand from your phone. [Fashionista]
Up next: How to make your dry, chapped lips super-soft and supple.