Here’s some shocking news for you: According to Google’s research on holiday shopping trends, 26 percent of shoppers will have already started their holiday shopping by Halloween this year. Yes, you read that right. As of today, about one-quarter of Americans have already started holiday shopping.
We stumbled upon this curious study on Fashionista and immediately hated these people. They’re sort of like those annoying people at college who finish writing papers weeks before they’re due. Isn’t procrastination half the fun, that frenzied jaunt to the mall seconds before it closes? Hell, I haven’t even bought Halloween candy, let alone Christmas presents.
But is it really so crazy?
Answer: maybe not.
We understand the urge to toss on floppy knit beanies—Shoppist editor Emily has a bedazzled highlighter yellow one we all adore—but with all the whimsical prints and chunky knits that went down the runway, a well-shaped cap can be just the dose of structure your outfit needs to pull your look together. Resist the knit and opt for one of these eight wool and felt toppers. Plus, now that Goorin Bros. is open, it only takes a quick trip to Walnut Street to get bedecked. You’re welcome.
Keep reading for price deets.
Help ‘em get their goods into West Elm!
Shoppists, if there’s ever been a time to band together and use your powers for good, this is it. Beloved Media online shop (and occasional warehouse sale throw-er) Three Potato Four is the only Pennsylvania finalist in West Elm’s competition for a small business grant. Owners Stu Eli and Janet Morales are in the running for $25,000 and the potential to get their goods in West Elm. The shop is currently in third place out of 21 finalists, and we’re positive we can get ‘em to number one.
Keep reading to learn how to vote.
Just one year after the eco-conscious coffee shop and clothier opened their flagship in Old City, they’ve expanded into University City with a new location at 3421 Walnut Street. “It’s been in the works for the past six months now,” says founder Brian Linton. It’s not open yet, but Shoppist got a sneak peek at what’s in store and we’ve returned with lots of snaps to share.
You need to see this place.
You can’t tell here, but the space extends down 17th Street | Photo by Josh Middleton
Eeeee! In case you forgot, Nordstrom Rack’s opening is just around the corner. A Philly Mag staffer snapped the above pic which shows the official signage being mounted. He also got word from a construction worker outside that the store will open on October 24. Excited? You bet.
But wait, there’s more!
- I don’t know about you, but I’ve been DIY-ing my beauty arsenal for as long as I can remember. Finally, the beauty industry has caught up. Here’s 7 beauty products you can customize. [Lucky]
- First there was #BendGate, now we have #HairGate. Word is the new iPhone 6 is pulling people’s hair out—kinda makes us happy our next upgrade wasn’t for three months. [Business Insider]
- In case you haven’t heard: Blake Lively is pregnant. Let the baby speculation ensue! To hold you over, here are Vogue’s 15 Spring 2015 picks to build out her maternity wardrobe. [Vogue]
Be honest: how many Debbie Harry tees do you have?
Newsflash: UNIQLO is taking over Philadelphia. (Just kidding. It only seems like that.) After lots of breaking news, store confirmations and announcements (plus a store preview from us back in June!) UNIQLO’s 1608 Chestnut Street location finally opens tomorrow. Woohoo! Shoppist got in early to snap a few pics of the new spot, and get some intel. And we scored big time.
Just see for yourselves.
Shearling is a material usually reserved for the insides of your favorite cold-weather clothes. But this time around, it’s popping up as the focal point of statement pieces (like the killer emerald coat pictured above) and on unexpected pieces like purses and heels. (How great are those gold chain accents?) A more subdued version of all-out fur, the texture can be paired with all your fall closet staples like wools and knits. And the best part? It makes classic pieces unbelievable cozy. You’ll never have an excuse to wear Uggs again. (Seriously, just throw them out.)
Prices and details ahead.
- Well, if you’re not toting a purse, I guess your new iPhone 6 has to go somewhere. Turns out the ordinary pockets on your denim aren’t so accommodating to the phone-meets-tablet hybrid, so brands are adapting by increasing pocket size. [Style List]
- We’ve heard it a million times; the best kind of plastic surgery is discreet plastic surgery. Here’s 10 sneaky treatments that you can chalk up to “your new juice cleanse” or a fancy exercise regimen. [Refinery 29]
- Glasses can be a serious beauty nuisance. They can emphasize under-eye circles, make your eyes appear smaller, and take all of the focus away from your lips. To remedy these potential blunders (and more!), follow these seven tips. [The Zoe Report]
Why leather pants are the new moto jacket.
We’ll take one of each, please.
The countdown is on! We’re officially five days out from the best warehouse shopping event in Philly—if we do say so ourselves. For today’s Philly Mag Shops preview, we’re featuring the effortlessly cool, eco-conscious Wayne boutique, Element Six. The socially responsible shop favors classic pieces with a fun punch (think: interesting textures, prints, and color schemes) and are sure to be a fan favorite.
Keep reading to learn how to score 40 percent off.