“So many people are familiar with this type of cookie and incorporate it into their holiday baking in some flavor combination. My filling has Lancaster County maple syrup and Garces Trading Company bacon, for a punch of sweet and salty. Pork fat rules!”
By Jessica Mogardo, pastry chef for Garces Restaurant Group
2 dozen cookies
8 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. butter, cold
250 grams all-purpose flour
10 grams sugar
6 oz. apricot jam or preserves
8 oz. rendered bacon lardons, cut in quarter-inch dice
25 grams maple sugar
4 oz. finely chopped walnuts
Maple sugar, as needed
For the cookie:
1. Cream butter in a stand mixer with a paddle on low speed, then add cream cheese.
2. Sift flour and add to creamed mixture with salt and sugar.
3. Mix until combined, chill until firm.
4. Roll into one-eighth-inch-thick rectangle.
5. Spread jam over entire rectangle.
6. Mix the bacon, walnuts and maple sugar together and sprinkle evenly over the rectangle except for the top half-inch.
7. Roll the log away from you, like a roulade cake, keeping it as tight as possible.
8. Chill again until firm, or almost frozen.
9. Brush the log with egg wash and sprinkle with maple sugar. Slice one-third-inch thick.
10. Bake at 350º for 15 to 17 minutes.